Here it is September and I am just getting a cooking post added to the blog. Zucchini is ripe and shredded for the Chocolate Zucchini Cake. I will post a slide show of options for toppings, and provide my recipe as well. I do use organic ingredients when available.
Here is my recipe, modified over time starting with a base recipe.
Avis’ Chocolate Zucchini Cake
½ cup (8 tablespoons) real butter
½ cup Safflower oil
¾ cup (6 ounces) Turbinado sugar (raw sugar) or Agave Nectar
2 teaspoons +/- vanilla extract (I like plenty of vanilla)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt +/-
2 large eggs
½ cup plain Greek yogurt (sour cream or buttermilk)
2 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
¾ cup baking cocoa, extra dark if you like
3 single serving size packets of Starbucks Via instant coffee, Italian roast
3 cups shredded zucchini (a 10-12 inch zucchini)
½ cup chocolate chips (peanut butter chips or crushed Butterfinger bar)
Icing options: 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/3 cup peanut butter or 1 cup crushed Butterfinger bar (or any combination of these)
- Preheat oven 325˚F, lightly grease baking dish if you desire.
- Beat together butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Blend in the yogurt, sour cream or buttermilk.
- Add the cocoa and Via.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini and ½ cup chocolate chips. Scoop batter into baking dish(s) of choice.
- Bake the cake 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- The cake toppings are optional. Sprinkle 1 cup of chocolate chips on top of the cake, return the cake to oven and watch for slight melting of chips. Or, let the cake cool, add a layer of whipped cream and sprinkle your Butterfinger bits on top of the cake. Or, spread the top of the cake with peanut butter and sprinkle chocolate chips or Butterfinger pieces.
Enjoy!! Happy Gardening!